This guide will walk you a through each step of learning the Visual Basic environment so that you will be off and running strong.
This Visual Basic 6 guide walks a beginner step by step through tutorials on this site that will get you up and running. The best way to navigate through the guide is by using the links on the left. Or you can use the links below and then hit your browser's back button. Each link will take you to a different tutorial on this site that will teach you the next step you need to know to learn.
Visual Basic Tutorial for Beginners
- One of the first and best things to do is begin to understand the Visual Basic IDE (Integrated Development Environment). By understanding the IDE you will be able to develop VB programs quickly and effectively. Start by reading the Getting to know the VB6 IDE tutorial
- The classic first program in any language is the Hello World application. This is a great visual basic tutorial for beginners because as you write this program to you are able to get your feet wet with the bare bone essentials every VB program has. Check out the Simple Hello World VB6 tutorial
- Good programmers figure out how to use a consistent naming scheme when they develop applications. The quickest way to graduate out of the beginner VB6 level is to check out the Object Types and Naming Scheme VB tutorial
- Variables are used in any real development. Make sure you visit the Quick Variable tutorial to see how variables work in Visual Basic 6
- (Optional) More In Depth Understanding variables and types in VB6
- When you need to make comparisons or have your program choose between options you will need to understand Visual Basic's if statements. Luckily there's a beginners tutorial that explains just that: Understanding the if conditional statement
- Once you grasp the basics check out this next beginner VB6 tutorial that goes more in depth into conditional statements: Understanding if statements and conditionals in VB6
- Need to do something repeatedly? Need to iterate through a list of things? Need to count from 1 to 1 Billion by 3's? You need to understand loops! Understanding For, Do, and while Loops
- Once a beginner understands how to use functions and subroutines he or she is on the road to being a full fledged VB6 guru. A solid grasp on functions and subroutines allows you to reuse code and functionality throughout your program and in future programs.Functions and Subroutines in VB6 tutorial
- Last but not least, begin to learn how to use all the great controls Visual Basic offers and create a great User Interface for your clients to use. Basic Graphical User Interfaces in VB6 - Tutorial
Once you have finished these tutorials you should have a very good understanding of the fundamentals of the Visual Basic 6 language and development environment. Feel free to download some more advanced tutorials and continue learning on your own. If you have any questions or comments related to this Visual Basic 6 guide please post them below.